Lesson Plans | Workshops | How to Fly a Kite
History of Kites | Science and Math | Language
Art | Geography and Culture | Videos
Organizations | Books | Magazines
Student Activities | People to Contact
Kite Workshop VHS Video – This 45 minute tape is available for $10 from the AKA. Call (509) 529-9171. The video shows how to run a sled kite workshop.
- Build a kite – the students are given materials and a plan
- Artistic decoration – kites can be a canvas for the most beautiful artwork
- Hold a kite festival – the students bring kites from home to fly at a given time
- Kite parade – students walk while their kites fly. Kites can be held by their bridles or attached to poles
- Kite contest for altitude – students must unspool the line quickly. The one that reaches the end of the line in the shortest time wins!
- Smallest kite contest – student’s kites must fly on 10′ of sewing thread. Smallest wins. Kite tails are ignored.
- Teams build kites – students attach multiple kites to the same line to create a kite train
- Dual line lessons – students learn to fly a 2-line stunt kite
- Quad line lessons – students learn to fly a 4-line stunt kite
- Junkyard wars – students build a kite from only the scrap materials that are supplied by the instructor. It must fly when it’s done!
- Candy drop – the teachers kite is used to lift a bag of candy then drop the candy from above
- Racing with the Bols – students race into the wind pulling 6′ parachutes behind them