Welcome to the AKA Kite Talk Forum!

Sign In, Register for a Free Account, or Become a Member to gain access to our forums and downloads.

- - - - -

Sewing machine help!!!!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kyriazis_*

Guest_Kyriazis_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:45 AM

I started to sew the kite I was trying to make and my bobbin keeps getting tangled up. I can go for about 6 inches before it starts to tangle and it does not matter whether I go slow or fast the results are the same.
I have an old Kenmore machine so I called a repair shop and they told me it was probably out of time and want a $100. just to fix it and I could buy a new machine for that price but unfortunatly I have all of my materials but don't have any more money to buy a machine, so I was wondering if there was anybody in the Astoria-Seaside area of Oregon that can lend me a machine to finish my project. BTW it is a 16 foot delta Seattle Seahawk kite.

Thanks Scott

#2 Captain Aether

Captain Aether

Advanced Member

• Forum Users
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:00 AM

Scott, before you push the panic button, do the following:
1. Clean the dust and lint out of the bobbin casing area.
2. Change the sewing needle for a new one.
3. Be certain that the thread is properly looped through the upper tensioner.

Cpt.A.

#3 Guest_Kyriazis_*

Guest_Kyriazis_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:05 AM

I have already done all of the things you mentioned plus some other things as well and nothing seems to work it still keeps doing the same thing no matter what I try. Great thought though, Thanks

#4 Captain Aether

Captain Aether

Advanced Member

• Forum Users
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:07 AM

Scott, before you push the panic button, do the following:
1. Clean the dust and lint out of the bobbin casing area.
2. Change the sewing needle for a new one.
3. Be certain that the thread is properly looped through the upper tensioner.

Cpt.A.

#5 Captain Aether

Captain Aether

Advanced Member

• Forum Users
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:14 AM

The bobbin thread tension can be adjusted by a small set screw. If you hold a fully threaded bobbin in its casing by a short length of bobbin thread, you should be able to produce a small amount of thread by giving the bobbin a slight shake, yoyo style. Of no thread comes out, the bobbin tension is too tight. Loosen the set screw. If the bobbin thread pulls out loosely when you lift the bobbin by the thread like a pendulum, it is too loose. If all else fails, buy a Janome Magnolia.

Cpt.A.

#6 Guest_Kyriazis_*

Guest_Kyriazis_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:14 AM

As I stated before..
I have already done all of the things you mentioned plus some other things as well and nothing seems to work it still keeps doing the same thing no matter what I try. Great thought though, Thanks

#7 cliffordjquinn

cliffordjquinn

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:32 AM

duplicate

#8 cliffordjquinn

cliffordjquinn

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:32 AM

duplicate

#9 cliffordjquinn

cliffordjquinn

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:52 AM

Hi Scott, We are assuming that the machine sews clothing fabric without problems ,yes? What thread are you using ,what size needle and type are you using, How did you test the bobbin tension. Is the thread coming off the bobbin in the correct direction. Is the ripstop moving every time the feed dogs move. Are you sewing straight stitches or zig zag. What is your stitch length. Have you had a broken needle lately. Have you ever heard a "bad" noise ,like the needle getting bent and hitting the bobbin hook. Look at the point on the hook and see if there's any burrs. When you stroke the hand wheel while watching the needle point and hook ,do they align at the proper time. Quick theory,,, when the needle passes thru the fabric and starts it's upward movement a loop in the thread is formed just at the time the bobbin hook tip is there. If no loop is formed the hook wont grab the top thread . The loop needs friction from the fabric to form. needle and thread size work in concert for proper stitching.
Let us know what you find

CLIFFORD

#10 Guest_Kyriazis_*

Guest_Kyriazis_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

No it is not even sewing cloth correctly!!! I am using nylon thread and my needle size is 80/11. No I have not broken a needle or have I heard a bad noise in the machine until the bobin gets tangled and binds the machine. I just put in the new needle because I needed to change the size and everything seems to alighn properly and the thread moves easily through the bobin carrierwith a very slight drag. The problem seems to be intermitant as it does great for a small amount of time and then gets tangled as I stated in the begining of the post. That is why I asked if any body in my area had a machine I could borrow to finish the project.

#11 Captain Aether

Captain Aether

Advanced Member

• Forum Users
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

Your local high school may have a home economics teacher who has a machine you might use at the school. However, I still think that the thread path might be the problem. The thread might not be properly aligned between the discs in the top thread tensioner. As the sewing proceeds, the top thread binds up and the bottom thread then loops due to insufficient tension. Try passing a sheet of paper through the top tensioning discs and play with the drag adjustment to determine if the rubber can still grip the thread in proportion to the dial settings. Finally, as a desperation measure, consider placing a small Velcro patch " sandwich" in the thread path. Try sewing with this additional friction on the thread. Next, place a single drop of a silicone lubricant for the thread to pass through on the Velcro patch. Try again.

#12 Todd Copeland

Todd Copeland

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:17 AM

I know it's been awhile but I'll throw in my 2 cents. First, I know first hand how frustraiting it can be when you are fighting the sewing machine every step of the way. As if sewing a kite was not difficult enough.

You mention that you've cleaned the bobbin area. Have you removed the bobbin assembly and cleaned it out? I use a cue-tip and some rubbing alcohol. After that, place a drop or two of sewing oil on the racer parts of the assembly. Getting the hook back into he assembly is probably going to be a little tricky but it just takes some trial and error to find the right placement so that the assembly goes back together. It's my opinion this will almost always solve the problem. You can also take some fine emory cloth to the hook and make sure it's smooth. Just a little buffing will work.

Whenever you place the bobbin in the holder make sure the thread is always going the same way. Starting tension should be set by holding the thread with the bobbin hanging. A _slight_ dip and pull up motion should allow the thread to slide just a few inches. You should also start with the machine thread tension at the 2 setting. Sew for a good 20 inches (it make jam in the mean time but correct and keep sewing ). Move the machine tension up 1/2 numbers to see if things get better. Also try pulling the upper and lower thread to see if they feel close to the same tension.

You can also try changing the needle a couple of times. Go with a different brand as well. Needles are not created equal and in a pack one might not have been formed correctly. Also try a few different size needles. This can make a difference depending on the distance between the hook and the needle. Changing sizes can help compensate for this distance.

I've never done it but I hear that setting the timing is tricky and takes some time. I'd say $100 for this serve is reasonable. However, I'd not spend $100 on a $60 machine. You can buy another machine for $100? If so, I'd say it's a gamble on what condition it's in. Certainly a $60 machine can work very well, it might be worth wild to spend $150 or $200 on a good machine.

#13 barbarameyer

barbarameyer

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • 869 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:26 PM

You may want to contact Dave Colbert, I think he lives in your area. If you don't have his number, contact your RD for that info, or check the AKA member list for others that live in your area.
All of us are trying to troubleshoot from afar.
would you local dealer loan you a machine, say as a test drive before buying another one?
Good luck!

#14 David Ellis

David Ellis

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:58 AM

My machine was doing this for a while.  Finally figured that the thread was coming to the machine in a floppy fashion, and was jumping out from under the pressure plates.  Finally ran the thread through tensioning by putting a hunk of foam in the thread holder loop at my thread cone.  That did the trick.  All smiles, now. :) :D :rolleyes:

Good luck with a solution on your machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users