Welcome to the AKA Kite Talk Forum!

Sign In, Register for a Free Account, or Become a Member to gain access to our forums and downloads.

- - - - -

Liability Insurance

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rlepperson_*

Guest_rlepperson_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:15 AM

Who could recommend an insurance company that sells reasonably priced liability converage, for a potential small "mom and pop" business, interested in selling homemade kites at Farmers Markets?

#2 John Lutter

John Lutter

Advanced Member

• AKA Member

• 100 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:35 AM

I would work with an insurance agent near you. They can generally sell you an "event" policy that covers only the event that you are attending. Most won't cover you for general liability because you don't have a permanent location.

#3 barbarameyer

barbarameyer

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • 861 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:20 AM

You may want to contact the KTAI, kite trade association international, for help in tracking this down. Many of their members face the same problem.
Good luck with the business!

#4 cliffordjquinn

cliffordjquinn

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

Product Liability Insurance, a good protection to have whether your a manufacturer, distributor, wholesaler or importer involved throughout the chain of commerce. In today's world you never know when you'll end up in crazy litigation .
There's lots of underwriters ,do a google search .

CLIFF

#5 Todd Copeland

Todd Copeland

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

I'd second John's post of finding a local agent. My guess is that you may need to go with a surplus lines carrier. This would give you more flexibility but the premium would be higher.

You may want to create a business and then obtain very low limits (the lowest allowed that will allow you to sell in that venue). I work for a surplus lines carrier and when you get into something like this, you actually want very low limits. After all, when someone trumps up some crazy loss there is no point in padding their attorney's pockets. 

Todd Copeland
Utah Kite Fliers - http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Treasure Island Sport Kite Klub - http://www.tiskk.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users