Welcome to the AKA Kite Talk Forum!

Sign In, Register for a Free Account, or Become a Member to gain access to our forums and downloads.

Photo
- - - - -

2014 AKA Annual Convention Registration is now open!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 John Lutter

John Lutter

Advanced Member

• AKA Member

• 117 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:39 AM

Its that time of year again! Time to start thinking about attending the 2014 AKA Annual Convention!

Online registration and more information is available: http://kite.org/acti...aka-convention/

I hope to see and meet everyone in the Outerbanks!

John Lutter

President - American Kitefliers Association

#2 Michael Lowish

Michael Lowish

• AKA Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

A very basic question if you please:  I am a total newbie to modern kites.  I have jumped in if you will and own 8 modern kites and am learning to fly.  Will the conference be something for me or for the folks with many years of kite experience?  While I would like to see experts flying and a wide variety of kite experiences, I don't want to feel like the low end of the food chain with no real opportunities to learn and grow in my new hobby.  I hope to fly kites at the beach and will be staying 15 miles north of the conference.  Honestly, should I stay up north and enjoy flying?

#3 John Lutter

John Lutter

Advanced Member

• AKA Member

• 117 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

I would say that if you have ANY interest in kites, that the convention will be something you will enjoy.

There will be the nation's best stunt kite pilots flying their routines at the competition fields, and kitemakers from all over the country (and world) will be flying and displaying their kites during the kitemaking competitions. 

The banquet and auction are a wonderful time, and a way to pick up some really unique kites. 

And the workshops... how could I have missed that? There will be a bunch of workshops throughout the week that you can attend.

But, what it all boils down to is, the greatest benefit that comes from the convention is being able to meet folks from all over the country, and share your experiences with other like minded individuals. 

I'm looking forward to it!

John Lutter

#4 Karen Mault

Karen Mault

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

The online registration will not let me register my husband because he does not have an email.  We have only one email because we have a family membership.  How can he register.  My membership number is  127222  and his is 127223.  I do not want to miss the early registration deadline because of this.

Karen M.

Kites rise highest against the wind, not with it.

#5 Karen Mault

Karen Mault

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

Never mind.  It's all straightened out.  We are registered.

Kites rise highest against the wind, not with it.

#6 markquirmbach

markquirmbach

• Forum Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

Could you point me to where I can find the locations of the sport kite fields for convention?

#7 John Lutter

John Lutter

Advanced Member

• AKA Member

• 117 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:11 PM

Hi Mark, 

I don't have a picture of the area to share with you yet, but the stunt kite fields are located approximately one mile north of the convention hotel, on the sound side. 

John Lutter

#8 George Weber

George Weber

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:00 PM

John:  Will the Toothless Dragon be flying at the AKA Convention this year?

#9 John Lutter

John Lutter

Advanced Member

• AKA Member

• 117 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:17 PM

Hi George, we don't have any control on where the Toothless Dragons go. They are intended to be displayed where they will get the most public attention for the movie, and I just don't think our convention will fit the bill. I may be wrong, and possibly one of the kite holders will be attending the convention, but I wouldn't put too much hope into it.

John Lutter

#10 kitephil

kitephil

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:48 PM

Are the entry forms for the Kitemaker's Competition available anywhere on the website, as they've been in past years?

Editor, KITING Magazine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users