Welcome to the AKA Kite Talk Forum!

Sign In, Register for a Free Account, or Become a Member to gain access to our forums and downloads.

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for places to fly near Raleigh, NC

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Strogen

Steve Strogen

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:01 PM

I just moved down to the Raleigh, NC area from NJ. Wondering if anyone knows of any good places to fly around Raleigh.

Also looking to meet any other kite flyers in the area as I am relativly new to kiting and am interested in meeting more people in the kiting community.

#2 John Lutter

John Lutter

Advanced Member

• AKA President

• 128 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:45 AM

You are about halfway between the WACKOS and the Richmond Air Force... you may want to get in contact with either one to see if they have any members in that area. Their information is in the regional resources area of this website: http://kite.org/comm...onal-resources/

John Lutter

President - American Kitefliers Association

#3 cliffordjquinn

cliffordjquinn

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:19 AM

Steve, if your an AKA member go to the home page  Header  "CLUB HOUSE"  click on SEARCH MEMBERS  When on that page search  US and NC up will come way over two dozen names in NC . Give some of them a shout.   One of the great things about being an AKA member,it gives you access to loads of information

CLIFFORD

#4 cliffordjquinn

cliffordjquinn

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:29 AM

Steve, on Sept 27th and 28th there will be a kite making workshop in Raleigh   for information go to  kitebuilder.com and search kite making events.  A great workshop to hone your skills and learn new techniques and also meet local kite people.

CLIFFORD

#5 Steve Strogen

Steve Strogen

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:01 PM

Clifford,

Thanks for the info, I am going ot check that out.

I was able to search for flying feilds on the main website and looks like I found a decent one. Going to check it out later in the week.

I am interested in attending the kite making workshop, but I do not have any sewing machine experience(haven't sewn in 15+ years)

so I have to hold off until I get some.

#6 Steve Strogen

Steve Strogen

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:47 PM

Found Crabtree lake park on the aka website. Stopped by there today and it looks like this will be a good place to fly. Weather was bad today so I didn't get to try anything out. Should be back there in a few days to fly

#7 Steve Strogen

Steve Strogen

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

Made it out to crabtree again the other day when thetre was finally some wind. Had a great time flying and also met another local kite flyer which was great

#8 Jim Martin

Jim Martin

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:49 PM

Check out the Facebook page for Cape Fear Kite Festival -- not far from Raleigh, and it is certainly possible to have a good time flying there!

The WACKOS down around Charlotte have lost our old field to a disc-golf course and are looking for a new home -- if we evr get that sorted, I hope we'll see you in Charlotte at some point!

Jim
\\\"I see an old man making giant kites, and gazing at them in the sky with a wonder for which there are no words.\\\"

#9 Steve Strogen

Steve Strogen

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:13 PM

Thanks Jim!! I did see the Cape fear fest and I should be going for at least 1 day, but hoping for both.

I have looked at the WACKOS page a few times and I did see you lost your field. Sorry to hear that. It looks like you guys are around 3 hrs from me. Since we are new to NC we have plans to check out Charlotte sometime. I will have to keep up with the calendar and try to plan a trip when you have something going on. 

#10 Karen Mault

Karen Mault

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:31 AM

Steve,
The Carolina Kite Festival is the 25th and 26th of October in Atlantic Beach, NC. We're flying on the beach off the boardwalk. You should come down. Some of our regulars come from Raleigh, Winston-Salem, Mebane, Burlington and Cary. I think this year is the 27th festival.

Karen M.
Kites rise highest against the wind, not with it.

#11 Steve Strogen

Steve Strogen

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:02 PM

Karen,

Thank for the heads up. I did not know about this festival. I think I should be able to make it down for 1 of the days. It looks like it is about a 2.5 hr drive, but I live right off of route 70 and it looks like I take route 70 the entire way.

Hope to meet more kite flyers soon.

#12 charlesmholmes

charlesmholmes

• AKA Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:51 PM

Contact Scott Hertenstein at cahertenstein@hotmail.com. He has about a billion kites and flew at the AKA OBX about 36 hours a day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users