Welcome to the AKA Kite Talk Forum!

Sign In, Register for a Free Account, or Become a Member to gain access to our forums and downloads.

Photo
- - - - -

Indian Fighter Video

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 toddlittle

toddlittle

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:23 AM

I'll be speaking to several high school classes about fighter kites next week. They're reading "The Kite Runner" and want to learn more about the kites in the book. I came upon this excellent three-part video on Youtube that I'll be showing as part of the lesson. I think it's really great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvSPW4nGzzA

#2 tonycarl60

tonycarl60

• AKA Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:28 AM

Yes, these are excellent videos! I never understood why fighter kites aren't more popular in this country as they are inexpensive and interactive. Why buy a $2 Walmart kite that flies badly and does nothing when you can have a fighter kite for the same price!

#3 cliffordjquinn

cliffordjquinn

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:09 AM

Hi Todd , thanks for sharing your plan and the video's. I've been to Ahmedabad in 08 and saw and experienced all the things in the video's. Been to the kite market , flew off roof tops , watched little children fly with skills that would put adults here in America to shame. Only thing I can think it's part of their culture and youngsters learn at an early age and fighter kites continues all thru life.
Actually I think Fighter Kites is one of the fastest growing part in our kiting community. For many years now every AKA Convention has a fighter kite workshop and a clinic out in the field. Besides there is fighter competition as well.
Last Sept. I watched the world fighter kite competition in Dieppe France. OMG, they were flying what seemed like a mile high and streaked across the sky like bullets. Fierce combat that was absolutely amazing. Wish I had that talent.
Some time ago I lurked on the Fighter kite central web site and realized this sport will become pretty significant here in the states.
Sorry Todd for stealing your thread.

CLIFF

Oh, one more point,,,there is a large group of Fighter Kite members here on the East coast,,,the 2011 AKA Convention will have big time fighter stuff going on.

#4 Chuck Sigal

Chuck Sigal

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:40 AM

Here is the link for Part 4:

#5 cliffordjquinn

cliffordjquinn

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:04 AM

Hi Chuck, Hey thanks for posting part 4 ,,I guess I can say I'm a "Witness" , My trip to Ahmedabad was exactly like shown in the documentary, great memories. I think Indian babies are born with a kite in their hand. Every body ,boys and girls learn to fly as soon as they start walking. An amazing kite culture.

CLIFF

#6 LoraineSmith56

LoraineSmith56

• Forum Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

Hi to all as clifford shared his experience of visit to India, i have also been there in last year and the best thing about kite there is that they have a festival called Makar sankranti in the month of January and on that day the whole sky is full of various kinds of kites, and every one fights with each other and the last won surviving in the sky wins, i too participated in it but unfortunately after fighting with 9 kites mine could also not survive, but that was fun.

#7 Woody

Woody

Advanced Member

• Forum Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:19 PM

I'm pretty sure that growing up in India kids don't have much else to do other than fying fighters. That I type of flying is not well liked here in the states and is very dangerous. With glass coated line people can get hurt very easily. People are killed every year in India from line cuts and falling off roof tops. Thank god we don't fly that style here in the USA If we did the AKAwould be sure to loose it's insurance for good. I enjoy flying short line fighters and have seen the numbers drop off in the last few years as far as competitors go. I did see a nice group of novice flyers at this years convention and hope that's a sign that fighters are on the rise again.

#8 barbarameyer

barbarameyer

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • 870 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:09 AM

Glass coated cotton line is pretty bad, but does eventually disintegrate. The worst is when it is monofilament that is glass coated. That is so strong there have been instances of line draped across the road for unsuspecting scooter riders to have necks cut. The Indian government has banned that line, but it is very difficult to monitor.

As to convention, was it the fun of the kites, or the Corey organized hospitality? Even though the name, fighting (?) leads one to believe otherwise, the fighter group seems to have more fun and less controversy on the field.

#9 Woody

Woody

Advanced Member

• Forum Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:56 AM

Maybe the kids you are showing this to can see how lucky they have it in this country. We have child labor laws to protect our children we also treat boys and girls the same. I've read the kite runner and seen the movie if you like fiction you might like them both. If your thinking about flying fighters that's great start with a slow kite with some waxed linen line. If your thinking about becoming a world class fighter kite pilot you better sleep with one under your pillow. Keep up the good work Todd.

#10 amydoran

amydoran

Advanced Member

• Forum Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:34 PM

I got a short lesson from Lisa Willoughby at Nationals in Seaside. What a blast!

#11 Jim Nicholls

Jim Nicholls

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:57 AM

Todd,

Many thanks for posting this. I've only just seen it, but loved all 4 parts of the video. It expresses so well the joy of kite-flying, even among those whose lives are unimaginably poor compared with ours. We should not judge the people, nor the way they fly their kites, by our own standards, just as they do not presume to tell us how to fly. Long may their tradition continue!

Jim

#12 Linda Sanders

Linda Sanders

RD13, "Kite Lady" Down Under

• AKA Member
  • 526 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:42 AM

We should not judge the people, nor the way they fly their kites, by our own standards, just as they do not presume to tell us how to fly.

The one amazing thing that I picked up on is that whilst there's fierce competition during the flying, there appears to be no "macho" element! And no less male because of it... They're fuelled by pure FUN, no need to puff up or act big. They just FLY!

#13 robinallenmccracken

robinallenmccracken

AKA Region 7 Director

• AKA Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

The Fighter Kite, (India style) is one of my Core kite genres that I associate myself with. I was taught by Vic Heredia (Vic's Fighter Kite manufacturer) himself how to fly Fighters. Amy I'm looking Forward to flying fighters with Lisa Willoughby and any other Fighter fliers I can find! I also make my own Fighters.
Thanks everyone for commenting on the "Nice" topics. You're right Linda, this is how we keep the threads alive and a positive forum going.

#14 carl anderson

carl anderson

0hio house

• Forum Users
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:11 AM

Thanks for the posti8ng Todd. After reading Tal Streeter , Kite Journey< The Kite Runner, and talking to Our Indian friends its great to see it in videos..See you at Enid if its still there.

#15 carl anderson

carl anderson

0hio house

• Forum Users
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:11 AM

We are in the process of down sizeing. So I will be bringing a lot of fighters for the auctions. Both the loud and bag. So bring a few extra bucks. Some are made by famous kite makers. So buy some of the collectibles to add to your collection.

#16 carl anderson

carl anderson

0hio house

• Forum Users
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

Very good video at the convention. Caught myself flying the kites while watching. But I didn't get cut.

#17 George Weber

George Weber

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

Great Videos,thx, for sharing!

#18 George Weber

George Weber

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

Waiting for it come to Dallas!
Good to see you again at Enid convention

#19 George Weber

George Weber

Advanced Member

• AKA Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

I learned on Vic's too! Still a half dozen in their tubes!
Also have some of Joe Vaughn's Grandmasters and have flown with him!
Also some of Stafford Wallace's small fighters and have flown with him!

#20 Captain Aether

Captain Aether

Advanced Member

• Forum Users
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:00 AM

I talked with a fellow from the Philippines today who reminisced about his 1970's childhood fighter kite experiences. The kites were handmade of tissue paper and bamboo. Sometimes a logo was painted on. The adhesive was boiled starch paste. Glass was crushed and applied by hand on long cutting lines. When a kite line was cut and the kite set free, the kids would chase the kite down and present it to the victor as a trophy. So popular was this that during the summer, some fliers would travel to other communities just to fight kites. The thing that really impressed me was his pure enthusiasm in relating his story. Were it not doing indoor kiting at the time, the conversation surely would have never taken place. As it is now, fighter kites are a closed book I've yet to open.
Cpt. A.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users