1. Tell us a little bit about yourself: My name is Jason Wheeler and I live in Pensacola, Florida. We have an AKA affiliated club, Emerald Coast Kite Flyers Club, and we promote kiting in NW Florida and the surrounding areas. I love putting a set of lines in someone’s hands and spreading my passion, which is all things kites.
2. Why did you join the AKA? I joined the AKA to support the group that supports kiting. The AKA is a very effective marketing tool to promote kiting in your region and a wonderful way to get the word out to a massive amount of people if you’re trying to get your event noticed.
3. What is your favorite kite to fly? Ideally it would be one of my Revs, but actually it’s whatever kite I’m flying at the moment.. Which is usually a Rev. Lol
4. Where is your favorite place to fly? One of the many beaches we have here in Pensacola. Second best would be the Community Maritime Park, aka Wahoos park. It’s where the Pensacola Blue Wahoos baseball team plays, and it’s right on Pensacola Bay so we still get sweet, clean winds right off the water.
5. If you could fly with anyone dead or alive, who would it be, and what would you fly? I’d fly with my Pops, and he’d usually be flying a dualie and I’d be flying a Rev.
6. What is your favorite event or kite festival? I really like Kittyhawk Kites fests we have twice a year in Ft Walton Beach and in Destin. I really enjoy KFL, but haven’t been in a few years due to it coinciding with the KHK fest in April.
7. What is one thing you wish more people knew about kite flying? That it’s good, clean, family fun and it’s not as hard as it looks.
8. What is the best color combination for a kite? I tend to like red, white and blue the most.
9. You’re a new addition to the crayon box. What color would you be and why? Blue. Because temperature wise, blue is associated with being a “cool” color, and I’d like to think that I’m cool and laid back.