1. Tell us a little bit about yourself: My name is Ron Bohart. I live in Tigard, Oregon, home of the Oregon Ducks…GO DUCKS! After flunking out of U Dub I attended The Art Center College of Design in Los Angeles where I was trained to be an advertising art director. After graduating I worked in advertising in Chicago, Illinois; Seattle, Washington and Portland , Oregon.
2. Why did you join the AKA? To compete and learn from the best.
3. What is your favorite kite to fly? My most favorite kite to fly is the one I am flying. I build and fly all kinds of kites. Big foils, sparred kites, quads and stunt kites. All are going to be covered with applique. That’s my thing. I dye the fabric I use for each application I need. All colors are good. I believe that kites should be looked at at 100 feet. I like to compete because it gives me a chance to see the kites of other kite builders up close and personal. To see how they are made and look at their techniques. I think it makes me a better kite builder to learn from others. If you get 100 kite builders in a room you will see 100 different ways to build a kite.
4. Where is your favorite place to fly? In the wind
5. If you could fly with anyone dead or alive, who would it be, and what would you fly? Edison. Eddy in a storm.
6. What is your favorite event or kite festival? Southern Oregon Kite Festival in Brookings, Oregon.
7. What is one thing you wish more people knew about kite flying? It’s an art not a waste of time.
8. What is the best color combination for a kite? I do a lot of portrait kites, mostly ROKs. So, all of the colors.
9. You’re a new addition to the crayon box. What color would you be and why? There are no “new ” colors…only those not seen.